- 1/2 cup non-fat buttermilk, OR 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice(or vinegar) mixed with (1/2 cup) 1 percent milk
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 6 medium to large (2 to 2 1/2 pounds) chicken breasts (not boneless), skin removed
- 1/2 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
In a wide and shallow bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, mustard, garlic and hot sauce. Add chicken and flip to coat on both sides. Cover and place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes or for up to 8 hours.
Line a baking sheet with foil. Coat a wire cooling rack with olive oil or canola oil cooking spray.
Whisk the flour, paprika, thyme, baking powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
Place the seasoned flour in a bowl with an airtight lid. Add the chicken 2 pieces at a time and shake with the lid on. Remove the chicken, shake off any excess flour, and place it on the rack.
Coat the top and sides of the chicken with cooking spray. You can make your own cooking spray, if desired, by filling this oil spray pump with canola or olive oil. Bake the chicken until golden brown and no longer pink in the center, 40 to 50 minutes.