- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for pan
- 1 cup sugar$
- 2 large eggs
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted, slightly cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup grated zucchini (from about half a medium zucchini)
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
- 2. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 3. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, beat butter and sugar until light, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each and scraping down sides of bowl. Reduce speed to low; beat in chocolate and vanilla.
- 4. Add flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with buttermilk. Fold in zucchini (batter will be stiff). Spread evenly in pan; bake until top springs back slightly when touched in center, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack. Dust with confectioners’ sugar just before serving, if desired.